Have you deprived yourself lately of eating Cake because you felt it was unhealthy? Find out how to eat your cake and have it.
I found this recipe very healthy and decided to share.
Whole Wheat Berry Coffee Cake Recipe.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mixed berries (such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 1/4cup low-fat granola, slightly crushed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir together buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and egg until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt just until moistened. Gently fold in half of the berries. Spoon into pan. Sprinkle with remaining berries and the granola.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until golden brown and top springs back when touched in center. Cool in pan on cooling rack 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Vanilla and spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg, add flavor and help bring out the natural sweetness in baked goods so you don’t need to add a lot of extra sugar.
For 2 1/2 Carbohydrate Choices, complement this berry-filled coffee cake with a glass of milk or juice.
For a stunning presentation, add a glaze by stirring together 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1 to 2 teaspoons milk. Drizzle it over the warm coffee cake. This brings the Carbohydrate Choices to 2 for a serving of cake.
Written By Betty C